I got a heat shield at a plumbing supply house.
It has two layers. A soft aluminum layer with some sort of insulating cloth
attached.
I just shape the material around what I am soldering. It saved me from
setting fire
to my house when soldering 40 feet of pipe with a bunch of valves and turns.
Pipe
was right against insulation and wood in many places.
~Gary - Eugene, Oregon