Geoff;
I'm assuming you soak the charcoal in Kerosene first. One of the advantages
to belonging to a club comes into play here. While you're waiting
(impatiently) for the fire, you get to visit and chat with like minded souls
doing the same thing. Mike Moore is the resident Gauge1 coal firing expert.
You do pay very close attention to what is going on.  When Mike started a
couple of years ago, he had at least a half dozen different kinds of coal he
played with. He has found that not even all the Welsh coal is created equal.
Phil

> >Tony et al,
>
> No wonder I have been unable to thin Aster paint! Isn't Trichlorethylene
> used in some  cleaning sprays. I used to use it a lot which probably
> accounts for my condition today!
>  The (blank scale) Britannia ran very well as I actually took time to lay
> proper sized bed of charcoal and waited (impatiently) for it to burn to
the
> right color before adding the coal. The compressed venturi nozzle I
patched
> together worked much better for this loco than the blower fan ever did.
>
>  Of course, the fire making applies to the smaller (blank scales) as
> well!--Alto' I believe the smaller locos are more tricky to fire.
>
> Paint again--the toughest paint jobs I've ever seen on a loco are those of
> Tom Cooper's on the Merlins!
>
> Geoff.
>

> Hi Geoff,
> >     You are correct again.
> >      I suggest one of Asters best kept secrets is their paint, prep and
> >applications methods. And certainly a standard other suppliers need to
> >equal. However Asters touch up paint as supplied, is too thick to blend,
> >and I understand that the only usable thinner is Trichlorethylene with
> >nasty fumes, not conducive to a long life!. It is, I believe now an OSHA
> >no-no in USA. I tried to obtain some, to touch up several hairline
> >scratches on a U1 for a friend of mine, but have not had any luck.
> >       Tony D.
> >     06:30 PM 7/31/02 -0700, Geoff Spenceley wrote:
> >>  Dear Tony et al,
> >>
> >>Tch, Tch

> >>Hope they didn't copy the paint job!!!!--you asked for it!

R/C.<<