Sorry to those who got my first message scrambled.  No idea why this happened as no
attachments or pictures were included.

Like Chad, I will try and record my whistle this week.  I did get whistle #2 to sing
this weekend but only on the 1st harmonic.  I tried several of the various sizes
internal tubes that are suppose to lower the tone but could not get a good whistle. I
could just hear the tone it was suppose to be with just a little steam but with any
more steam all I got was steam venting white noise.  Both whistle #1 (in the trash)
and whistle #2 are the smaller version made to Larry Bingham plans published in SitG
Vol 42.  I'll continue to play with it.

The requested details on the headlight are easy. Whenever I am in a Home Depot I
always visit the flash lights and look for good minature lenses.  Several months back
I found a flashlight lense that was perfect diameter for the Accucraft old style
headlight.  I was stupid and only bought 2. Since then I have not seen this exact
flashlight again.  My first lense got too close to my micro torch flame and got all
wrinkled up so I have only 1 left.

Anyway, I used the lense and bulb from the flashlight and got a microswitch and 2 "N"
sized batteries at Radio Shack. Everything was soldered together in series and there
is just enough space in the headlight to squeeze to 2 batteries behind the lense. The
switch is mounted on the bottom of the headlight. I made the top of the headlight
removable and is held by 2 ea 2mm flush mounted screws in the back of the headlamp.
By far the thing that took the most time was making a new slanted front face and
number board out of brass as per RGS #17 prototype.

All in, the headlight took a couple of weeks and I have played with the whistle for a
couple of weeks. I scratched built a wide peaked roof cab that took about 5 weeks of
time. I would highly recommend Vances new round roof kit as it is not an easy project
to scratch. As the RGS did not have a C-16 with an original short unmodified tender
combined with a round roof cab post 1903 with automatic couplers, I chose to scratch
the peaked roof cab and build RGS 17 instead of attempting to modify the tender. RGS
#17 is one of the few engines post coupler that retained the original short tender
dimensions.  All the other tenders at that time were modified and were much taller.
If I had to do over again, I would have started with an Accucraft D&RGW #278 as the
tender would have been suitable for several C-16 RGS engines post 1903.

Regards

Tom Burns
Sugar Land, Texas