Just one word of caution.  I tend to think many people get turned off by
live steam when they hear about he machinery that is "required" to build the
locomotives.   I know of a guy who built the most beautiful 3/4" Raritan you
ever saw using just a 6" Atlas with a milling attachment and a decent drill
press.  He is not a machinist by trade either.  It just shows that even with
a very limited budget, beautiful models can be built.

I'm one of those guys on a limited budegt, so I will stick with my beloved
Sherline lathe, Burke/Sherline mill, and a 7" Potter if I need to turn
something a little larger in diamter.

Besides, fixing up the old stuff is half the fun!

J.R.