In a message dated 10/19/2002 2:04:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Yes there were assorted fees to pay, duty, etc, but
> someone will have to pay them and short of going over
> myself and bringing
> one back in my kit this proved to be the most
> cost-effective way I could have done it.

On a visit to the UK a few years ago, we bought
a marble/malachite chess set (including a very
heavy solid chess board,) in Bath, of all places.
I had it shipped to the States by Fedex and had no
problems.  The cost was about $80, and the store
packed it properly.  Fedex have excellent systems
for clearing customs on international shipments -
their broker will pay the fees and bill you later!
The shipment took 2 days.

Another alternative would be DHL, who I have not tried.
But I can also suggest shipping airfreight: I once took a
large steamer trunk to Boston airport and gave it to British Airways
- it also arrived with no problems.

  Pete