Victor, Thanks for the reply.

I think equalizing the American would be rather simple. It only requires a
set of equalizers between the driver axles (a simple see-saw). I would use
coil springs hidden behind the frame if space allows and "fake" the leaf
spring, only using it as the beam for equalizing.

Cast iron would be the material of choice for the American drivers. I may
post a jpeg of these later.

Thanks

Ken