Are sanders allowed?  How about Jetex assist?  (do they still make those?)
Sneak a motor drive in the tender?
I knew there was a reason I wanted to go there.
(VBG)  Phil

Diamondhead 2003 Drawbar Pull Results

There were twenty-one locomotives entered in the
drawbar-pulling contest held from 1:30 to 3:30 on Friday and
Saturday afternoons.  There were originally six classes but
we found we needed to add two to make competition fairer.
Classes were as follows:  Class 1 - 4 drivered locomotives,
Class 2 - 6 drivered locomotives, Class 3 - 8 drivered
locomotives, Class 4 - Geared, Class 5 - Heavy Weight
(K-27's and the like), Class 6 - Shays (thought there would
be many Accu Shays to be entered hence the separate class),
Class 0 - 2 drivered locomotives, and Class 1/2 - 1 driver
locomotives.  Class 0 and 1/2 were added as entries came in
that didn't fit the first 6 classes.  Class 6 was combined
with Class 4 as only one Shay was entered.  Here are the
results:

Class 1/2     1 Driver

1st     Jim Sanders     Steam Powered Tricycle     negative
1 inch
2nd     no entry
3rd     no entry

When the measuring device cable was attached it managed to
move the tricycle backwards from the weight of the cable and
was never able to overcome the horrific strain added by
this.  We need more competition in this category next year.

Class 0     2 Drivers

1st     John Clark     Emelia          1 oz
2nd    Bill Shipp      deWinton        3/4 oz
3rd     Peter Foley    deWinton        5/8 oz

There was another deWinton and a Grasshopper also entered.

Class 1     4 Drivers

1st     John Woodroofe     Riesa       4 3/8 lbs
2nd     John Woodroofe     Samson      4 lbs even
3rd     Chris Wolcott      Ruby        1 3/4 lb

There were seven entries and the Cheddar locomotives proved
to VERY powerful.  There were several Rubys and Millies
entered.

Class 2     6 Drivers

1st     Peter Oelschleger    Gungadin     4 3/8 Lbs
2nd    Chris Wolcott         Lady Ann     1 3/4 lbs
3rd     no entry

Only two entries and the Class 1 winner pulled the same
weight with two less drivers.  The rest of you six drivered
owners need to correct this next year.

Class 3     8 Drivers

1st     Steve Heselton        C-16       5 lbs even
2nd     Arthur Cohen          C-16       2 1/2 lbs
3rd     no entry

I guess you C-16 owners were caught napping or something as
there was a lack of competition in this class.

Class 4     Geared

1st     Alvin Sadler      WM Shay       5 3/4 lbs
2nd     Jim Sanders       MiCal Shay    5 5/8 lbs
3rd    Joel Neshkin       Heisler     4 1/4 lbs

I was disappointed in the lack of Shay entries.  I had two I
could have entered and won with but I know there would have
been a cry of foul as the event organizer.

Class 5     Heavy Weight

No entries.  I offered to make special times available for
this class due to the difficulties of bringing entries to
the line.  It would have been interesting to compare DJB's
and Accucraft's K-27's pulling power.

Class 6     Shay

Combined into the geared class and eliminated for next year
due to a lack of interest.

The next drawbar-pulling contest will be at the Midwest
Steam-up this May in St. Louis.  I will again have the
electronic (accurate to .1 oz) track in operation there.
Start tuning your locomotives now.  To date no one has
displayed any initiative to bend the rules like the NASCAR
and Dragster people do.  Seriously it's a lot of fun to see
what your locomotive is capable of actually pulling and then
comparing it to other models of similar configuration.

Bruce Gathman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]