At 04:12 PM 3/3/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Hmmm, again from the prototype world, the pressure gauge is generally
taken off a high spot in the boiler. (snip)

      Couldn't have said it better myself.

>I am a bit confused by this.

         As Mike says, we've always done it that way.  But just to make
sure I checked our local preserved locomotives, . . . all gauges taken from
the fountain.  I then checked through a half-dozen or so designs in Live
Steam Magazine, . . . all gauges taken from the fountain or a top mounted
bush.  Next I checked a dozen or so locomotive and boiler articles in Model
Engineer, and likewise four or five in Engineering in Miniature, and all of
them locate the gauges off the fountain or a bush in the steam space.  So
for me it's monkey see monkey do.
         The siphon is another monkey see monkey do.  In full size practice
the siphon was intended to create a place for a plug of condensation which
sheilds the gauge innards from contact with live steam.  In our scales the
steam temperature isn't nearly so much a danger to the gauge but we do
siphons anyway.

Regards,
Harry