There is one good reason why I prefer alcohol (coal is best of course) over
butane, I believe it is closer to the prototype and  a bigger challenge to
steam. A blower is required and the exhaust nozzle  is critical too, in
addition to other factors.  So it is closer to a coal fired loco than
butane. I realise there are some butane fired than do utilize a blower and
exhaust nozzle--those are great. I'm sure that is very possible with
ceramic burners and I believe that would be closer to coal than alcohol,
especailly with a burner that stayed red hot for a while like coal.
With the amount of steaming I do, however, cost is a very important
consideration.

I just get most thrills from steaming my coal fired, next the alky fired,
lastly the butane fired.

Each to his own!  It's what you enjoy.

Geoff