Oxidation of primary alcohols produces aldehydes.  Methyl alcohol will react
with hot copper(II) oxide to form formaldehyde.  This reaction is especially
interesting because of the changes that can be observed in the copper(II)
oxide.  Specifically the copper(II) oxide is converted to metallic copper
which is then returned to copper(II) oxide and the process repeats as long
as the copper(II) oxide/ copper metal remain hot.  Which is why our wick
tubes don't disintegrate.  The problem is that this reaction will only take
place in the presence of a strong oxidizing agent such as chromic anhydride,
CrO3 , in sulfuric acid; potassium dichromate in sulfuric acid; and
potassium permanganate, non of which are present.  The upshot is that if
this reaction is taking place, the amounts of formaldehyde produced should
be at the trace level.  However, safety always dictates to run engines in
well vetillated spaces.

    H   C-OH  +  CuO -----> H C=O  +  Cu  +  HOH
        H                           H

 Methanol       +  Copper (II) Oxide  -----> Formaldehyde  + Copper  +  Water