Thanks guys. I was wondering if you could use the liquid Sterno in alcohol burning locos like Asters. Any ideas?
---Tom U. Leaton

From: Michael Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Multiple recipients of sslivesteam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sterno for fuel?
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 19:53:25 -0800

Be careful, there are at least two different Sterno products. I am familiar
with the traditional jelled chaffing dish fuel and the liquid version. Tom
asked abut the liquid version. The liquid version is considerably less viscous
and therefore more prone to spillage. Worse, when I used some in the Midwest
firebox it started to boil. As the bubbles popped, they released flammable gas
that caused flames to "belch" from the air intakes around the perimeter of the
firebox. Spectacular to observe after sundown, but not particularly advisable!

The jelled version comes in squat metal containers with a press fit lid. It is
suitable for use in the aforementioned shays as well as the Midwest steam engine
kits.

"James S. Burns, Jr." wrote:

> Tom, there were about 100 Hydeout Mountain Shays manufactured to run on
> Sterno. Put in a spoon full of jelly and the pop valves sing. Probably
> others were so fueled?

Have fun,

Mike