In a message dated 4/2/03 11:01:05 AM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<< If you want to experiment with something cheap make up a
 flux of borax and water >>
Borax and water was the standby as far back as the 15th century.  I have used
it, and it of course works, but best for non-ferrous soldering.  I use Harris
black flux and prefer it because it melts at a higher temp.  As Harry says,
hopefully you are not trying to use a soft solder flux and must assume (that
word that gets all in trouble) that you are referring to hard soldering.
Tell us what your problems are in soldering and maybe we can figure a
conclusion.  It is not always a cause of flux.
Bob