Hello All,

     Even the *cheaper* belt driven compressors with separate motor and
compressor head are a LOT quieter and smoother running than the ones with the
motor coupled directly to the compressor head's shaft. At least that's my
experience, having owned both types.
     In the past I've worked around a similar noise problem with a compressor.
If the compressor was going to be running a lot, I would sometimes roll it
outside and run a hose through a cracked door and into the existing piping
through a quick connect coupling. Now, my compressor is permanently in another
room of the garage so it's no longer a problem. (Other than it's easy to
forget to drain the water from the tank, or check the oil level in the head.)
     I also have an additional storage tank (roughly 30 gallon) piped into the
air supply plumbing. It helps considerably in keeping "ON" time to a minimum,
especially during sporadic or light use. It also provides a good additional
volume of air for pneumatic tools. I bought the bare tank at a Flea Market for
almost nothing.
     Hope it helps, or spawns an idea.

Later,
Trent