Harry Wade wrote:

On an unrelated matter, when tempering (a D bit), do you heat it to cherry or dull red before quenching ?

Yes, heat to cherry red and hold for a bit.

Turns out that I was trying to temper 1018. PARTS of it got hard. Enough to make me think that it was 0-1.

and temper it by reheating
until you see a straw color creep up the bit.

I heat mine for tempering on a bed
of common sand in a metal tray heated from underneath.

I like that suggestion. Seems like it would have better heat transfer (more even) than heating it on a piece of stainless steel. Thanks for your input.

royce in Sb