My noggin is working tonight. :-)

Les told me that the reason that the radiant burner design by Kevin O'Connor
and like I read, uses slots that increase in depth from the FAR end of the
tube to the end near the jet.  This is to even out the flame burning along
the whole length of the burner.  Why?  I remember about the far end burns
more than the near end if the slots are cut evenly.  Is this an effect like
that is used in steam injectors where the high velocity stream from the gas
orifice is used to drag in and along another material?  Do the initial slots
allow air to be dragged in increasing the volume of material in the burner
tube, which then piles up at the end?  I know that there are air holes
before the stream passes the back end and gets into the burner tube.  But
what is causing the flame to be greater at the end?  Why does the gas/air
mix get down to the end of the tube in greater quantity requiring the
inverse slot depth?  I can contemplate that the smaller end slots in effect
re-meter the mix to be burnt, but why is there more mix at the end?

The other thing is the screen mesh at the burner level, not the radiant
mesh.  I was looking up SS 60 Mesh cloth, and stumbled on the fact that
Market Grade Cloth of Plain Weave has an open area of 30.25% and aperture
size of 0.0075" sq.  There was another type described as Bolting Grade Cloth
of Plain Weave with an open area of 57.8% and aperture size of 0.0126 sq.
Hmmmm.  Looks like we have another restriction in the flow path.  It would
seem that all those slots are being restricted to 30.25% of their cut
opening size.    Does this mean that we are putting 70% too much mix down
the tube in the first place?

Mike Eorgoff