Ken,

Check out the images at http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo-s600.jpg and http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo-s600a.jpg. The water pumps on this 2-6-0 prototype are located under the cab. The pump piston rods are connected to the main rods at the rear drivers. On this prototype, the cab extends quite a bit back from the rear driver which is not quite how yoru CAD drawing of the 4-4-0 is arranged.

I've seen such a pump arrangement on other locomotives at the B&O Museum in Baltimore, which unfortunately, is still closed due to the snow damage that happened last February. Somewhere in my photo piles at home I have a picture or two of these locomotives. I'll see if I can find them in the next day or two. Maybe someone else on this list has some photos of Museum locomotives that have this water pump arrangement?

Casey Sterbenz

From: "XXYZ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Multiple recipients of sslivesteam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: American water pump dilemma
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:07:22 -0600

Hi all,

I have run into a bit of a dilemma. I was working on some of the boiler bits
on the American Project and thought it would be a good time to flesh out the
water pump. I am expecting the arrival of my newly purchased O/A torch rig
and that put my mind in the frame to finish the boiler details. I need to
practice A LOT before attempting the prototype boiler, but since the torch
isn't here yet I needed to work on something.

The dilemma is were to put the water pump. I am thinking that the Dee style
pump set-up would be good but the it looks a bit clunky in the CAD model and
doesn't quite fit. I am also thinking that it may fit to the side of the
burner and inside of the firebox (like the Project loco).

The downside of the Project setup is accessibility. The room behind the rear
axle is tight on the American and the frame is more open than that of the
Dee. Cosmetically this may look a bit ugly (it may in reality be less
noticeable than on the CAD model). There is also little room for the nose of
the scotch crank.

I have posted a picture of the loco (see link below) with the Dee sized
scotch crank and eccentric on the rear axle. As you can see the current
configuration for the boiler is trying to share some of the same space. I am
stuck in which approach is going to be the better solution, and am wondering
if I am missing something.

Tell me what you think. Or if you have any other options that may be more
appropriate.

Thanks

Ken

http://xxyz.home.mindspring.com/american%20main%202.jpg