From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Harry Wade
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2003 1:36 PM
To: Multiple recipients of sslivesteam
Subject: BPE safety valve

At 11:39 AM 9/7/03 -0700, you wrote:
>Don't forget, folks... there are two "safety valves" on the Midwest
>steam engine... the first being the silicone hose popping off . . .
>Jon

        In other words there are NO safety valves on the Midwest boiler and
it has brass as a part of the pressure vessel structure.  Why, when doing
it right takes so little additional time and effort, some of you continue
to recommend as safe and acceptable boiler practices which are directly
contrary to long-time world live steam practice and unacceptable in all
other major live steaming countries is beyond me.
        I'm not anti-Midwest or anti-Project per se, and the purpose and
goal of the Project is an admirable one, but to me this isn't about having
an easily built project which is probably not going to cause an injury this
afternoon, . . . this is about what is good safe practice to adopt, and to
recommend to others to adopt, as a personal standard of safety for a
lifetime in live steam and that when followed will never result in personal
injury on account of a structural failure.  This should be adopted as Rule
#1 for all of us.  Those who for some reason can't see fit to adopt Rule #1
should IMHO be shown the door.  They are a danger to the rest of us.
        Everyone is of course free to do as they please in their own garden
but to the rest of the organized live steam world brass, soft solder, and
no safety valve are unacceptable in a miniature boiler PERIOD and aren't
even open to discussion.  One can't expect to post information to the
contrary to an international  fourm where so many people come to seek sound
information and guidance and not have it scrutinized, questioned, and
objected to, if only by me.

Regards,
Harry Wade
Nashville, Tn