At 04:11 PM 10/28/03 +0100, you wrote:
>Dear Friends,
>I'm new to your group, a young enthusiast of steam engines from Europe.
>Very fortunately I have an access to a semi-professional workshop and
>I'm planning to measure myself against a task of building a live steam
>locomotive.

Wojtek,
      I've looked at your web site and projects and I have a couple of
suggestions.  There is quite a bit of information in print describing the
technologies and current practices of Ga1 which do not necessarily follow
the techniques and practices used in other gauges, both larger and smaller
(such as HO), or in full size.  Essentially these practices have been
developed over time to simplify construction as much as possible yet retain
a good appearance and most importantly result in safe and reliable
operation.  This is especially true with respect to boiler building.
Creative experimentation in Ga1 live steam is ongoing and refinements in
techniques appear regularly.  The objects always remain improved
effeciency, reliability, safety, and simplifying of construction.
      Before going very much further with a locomotive design I would do as
much reading on the subject as I could to familiarize myself with how and
where Ga1 technonlogy differs from other gauges.  The majority of this
information, usually in the form of serialized articles, is going to be
found in British publications such as "The Model Engineer" or "Engineering
in Miniature", and in the G1MRA Journal.  For instance by applying state of
the hobby design principles the boiler pictured on your site can be made
much simpler and safer yet be a more efficient steam generator.  In
addition to reading the best way to familiarize yourself with ga1 practice
is to observe and inspect locomotives whenever the opportunity presents
itself.  Also, over the years catalogues from Aster Hobby have contained
sections on Ga1 design and construction practice which use their own
products as examples.

Regards,
Harry Wade
Nashville, Tn