At 04:36 PM 2/17/04 -0500, you wrote:
>I presume since it is a "little Engines" engine, it is either 7.5" or 7.25"
>gauge. If so, I'm having the same problem (among others) with the one we
>have at The Depot.  [snip]  Please advise if you get a remedy!
>Keep your steam up!
>Walt

Walt,
          The engine I refer to is laid up and won't be gotten into any
time soon but Mike may be onto something.  I recall during construction
(many years ago) I understood the importance of making the arms the same
length and as best I recall I did (using a jig - and my arms are
adjustable), but it's entirely possible that "same" to me then wasn't quite
as close as "same" to me now.  Also, there are at least five points
(running fits, pivot locations, arm lengths, etc) where small location or
length errors could alter the effective arm length.  The valve gear one of
those areas where careful work pays off and sloppy work shows up.

Regards,
Harry