I am curious as to just how "soft" you brass sheet has become? Just
because the cab metal is softened, doesn't mean it won't be able to
withstand the handling which our models receive.
I've seen some very nice models that use quite thin sections of brass on
the superstructure, and that was more of a problem than relative
hardness. In fact, brass is it's annealed state is easier to bend to
contours than it is if hardened! For complex shapes I've sometimes had
to anneal pieces several times before they attained the desired shape.
While I agree that silver soldering is not necessary on superstructures,
I wouldn't chuck you cab into the garbage because it's a little soft! At
least in it's softened state, if you get a dent in the cab, it will be
easy to knock back out!
Keith Taylor
Jefferson, Maine USA