Mike,

Only preparation is get up lots of steam as you will be
pulling very hard for several feet and cleaning off any oil
from the wheels.  Depending on where the steam is tapped
from the boiler will determine water level.  Usually the 2
cylinders are run up backwards to allow steam pickup with
almost a full boiler of water as the tap is on the very rear
of the boiler

You are right about converting from degrees to percent.  I
found it much easier to use a degree finder and have a
conversion chart than to measure each run and then do math
to calculate the grade.

BG

On Thu, 20 May 2004 22:25:45 -0700, "Michael Martin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I was amazed by the Hill Climb figures that Bruce included in his after
>steamup report!  It appears that the track inclination was set in degrees
>and then converted to the percentage grades he reported.  The steepest grade
>reported (70.02%) equates to exactly 35 degrees.  Another way to express
>this is that the engine climbed 6 feet, ten and one half inches over the 12
>foot long course!
>
>What I am curious about is how the engines are prepared for this sort of
>contest.  I would guess that the boilers must be nearly empty to avoid
>priming.

The links provided below are ways to
donate to a cause or causes for free.

www.bigcats.care2.com