Last weekend I finally got the smokebox saddle machined using my homemade boring bar and fixture to hold the workpiece. Cutting the circular saddle took about 45 minutes or so because of the light cuts required. I did the work in two sessions because of no power feed on the lathe.

The results were better than I hoped. I could have shaped the tool bit better to give a smoother cut, but the cut surface will be hidden against the bottom of the smokebox. I am just happy it came out symmetrical and unskewed, which were my main concerns. The job sort of tested the rigidity of the Taig lathe. With light cuts on aluminum it was just rigid enough to accommodate the lever arms created by the boring bar and fixture.

Thanks to Keith and Arthur especially for their advice encouragement.

Steve