At 09:51 AM 6/17/04 -0400, you wrote:
> I’ve seen some discussion from this group on “G1MRA”; I was wondering
>what other members think of these publications. -  Ray

Ray,
        The Newsletter & Journal (NLJ) of the Gauge One Model Railway Association
(G1MRA).  This is published quarterly in England by the G1MRA and as should
be expected is primarily (I hesitate to say exclusively) a British mainline
railway oriented magazine and little if any U.S. prototype subject matter
has or is likely to appear.  If British mainline modeling, electric or
steam, is your cup of tea, and it is mine, then it is the best publication
for the money currently being printed.  A subscription comes with G1MRA
membership.
        A year or so ago the overall appearance, quality of content, and substance
of the NLJ took a substantial leap (IMHO) after the editorship was assumed
by Arthur Walker (in the UK) but sadly Arthur passed away recently and it
remains to be seen where it will go from here.  Hopefully the standard that
Arthur set will be maintained and will be improved upon yet again but as
with any magazine they can only publish what they are sent.
        My personal assessment is that in addition to simpler subjects and
projects, to its great credit the NLJ tends not to be timid about
publishing complex technical projects, which require the reader to expand
his/her reach, to think, to have and use tools, specifically machine tools,
and to adhere fairly closely to standards of scale and proportion.
        It is also the publication of a closed membership group so occasionally it
does have indside references to individuals and events, past and present,
which may be unknown to some readers.  But sometimes, while some of the
more easily ruffled hens peck at each other, espousing their respective,
sometimes absolute positions on this subject or that, which they are also
not timid about publishing, a gem of information or an education can be found.

Regards,
Harry Wade
Nashville TN