I can heatily not recommend letting locos cool without relieving pressure on
the lubricator line.  Oh, sure, steam oil does get drawn into the boiler to
"lubricate" the boiler (a machinist did this to a loco I resurrected from
his horrid touch), but that steam oil bubbles up into a foam that thoroughly
inhibits steam generation and can displace water so the boiler is dry with
only lots of steam oil foam.  Took me a few attempts at firing the loco to
realize why no steam was generating (well, first I had to remove the smoke
generator that had burned through and put out the fire each time pressure
rose a bit).  Getting that foam out was not fun.  It was tedious,
repetitious, and took several hours of rinsing with alcohol before the foam
was all gone.  Then I had to let the boiler air out for a week, before
refilling with clean distilled water.  Needless to say, I am very careful to
teach any who are curious to always open the lubricator to let pressure drop
when cooling the loco down or when refueling.  As long as pressure is
maintained with the fire no worries about foam.  I hate foam in the boiler,
in case any of you wondered.
Steaming & Sparking over Terror Trestle in Eugene, Oregon ~ Gary
http://www.angelfire.com/or/trainguy
http://community.webshots.com/user/raltzenthor

It would be nice to find an additive that could be put in the
boiler water that would have a anti-corrosive effect relative to the copper,
and that would be chemically compatible with all parts.

Maybe someday someone will formulate such an additive.

Cheers --- Bob