> I would like to here from members of this group that have and are using
> radio control and how they improved its performance .

Paul,

I talked to the guys at the local r/c shop, who sell mostly planes and cars, when I
was buying servos for my first conversion.  They told me about metal-to-metal
glitching - apparently, any metal contacts that are loose (think of your loco-tender
coupler, side rods, wheel bearings, or the truck pivots,) cause glitching and worsen
performance.

While at the store, note that most servo connection parts are nylon or similar
plastic.  No metal.  Trains are obviously a hopeless case in terms of eradicating
random metal-to-metal contacts!

You've already had lots of good advice, but I can offer one suggestion that I use
extensively.  I found my r/c receiver tolerated a loss of signal and stayed exactly
where it was until the transmitter signal came back.  So I turn off my transmitter
once the loco is set, and it continues what it was doing until I turn it back on again
- and there's no glitching as it sees no signal.  I even added a small on/off
pushbutton on  the back of the transmitter near my thumb to make it easy to flip it on
or off.

  Pete