On 23/8/04 2:00 am, "Henner Meinhold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I tested the radio system with the engine stopped and everything was fine.
> As soon as I touched one of the metal parts with a scew driver or moved the
> engine, all hell broke loose: The servo tried to twist itself out of its
> bracket ! Obviously my locomotive is the worst case scenario. The frame and
> superstructure are mainly wood with the engine exposed in the middle. So all
> the moving and rubbing metal parts are completely unshielded. On a "normal"
> live steamer the bulk of the locomotive like boiler, cab, running board are
> "static" and seem to shield the moving parts. Anyway, I tried several of the
> tricks mentioned in the glitching thread, but nothing worked. I even tried
> to ground the receiver to the steam engine/boiler...
> Bottom line: 19th century mechanical designs and 20th century radio control
> don't match. I have to continue running my engine manually, or wait for my
> friend to complete his high tech based digital R/C system...
> Regards
> Henner
What are you using as a aerial beacon Henner - the addition of a metal cab
should not make a difference and it sounds as if you have a short from
aerial to locomotive. I presume you are using an FM rather than an AM set
and the aerial wire has not been shortened.

Metal to metal contact or ''rusty bolt' syndrome can be an issue with steam
locomotives, but the greater majority will run without glitching and without
servo smoothers - particular if FM. The 'rusty bolt' effect does attenuate
the range of the system, but, generally speaking, this is not an issue
within the bounds of the average garden. The commonest cause of glitching is
something external such as a washing whirly, cast iron garden roller in the
garden or R/c interference. Here I run locos with tenders, locos with no
cabs etc and glitching is not an issue. I did fit a servo smoother to my
Pearse Countess, but this was to allow me to switch off the radio whilst
running without a 'switching off' spike - for exhibition purposes.
--
Tag Gorton
Editor