Tony wrote:-

My sparks are made from real mesquite coal, generated in the firebox,
not purchased from PG&E.
Prototype Duchess never used rubber (s), ran bear backed.

If the information supplied by loco crews at the Carlisle LMS (Hell uv
a mess) end of the wall  is correct sparks from the chimney were very
rare because of the severe breathing problems with this loco. We (at
the east end of the wall) often had to hear that a Duchess would beat
any Gresley engine if it could breath. A black five would, from reputation
take the coals of the shovel and with the throttle full open would send
fist size hot coal through the chimney. I know of a case where shortly
before the end of the dieselisation/electrification of BR a Steam driver
blow the boards out of a footbridge approaching Leeds having made up 20
mins of lost time between Carlisle and Leeds with a "5" He received a
dressing down and congratulations from the same super.

Someone should write these stories down before they get lost forever.
Not just generalizations, but real little incidents.

One more.
A driver wrote in his log book at Gateshead shed that he must have run
over a small animal near Chester-le Street because the engine lurched.
Upon examination of the (A4) a flange was missing from the middle driver!!
no damage to the motion!!  Parts of the flange were found up to 80 yards
away in a field!.

I think the Duchess is great looking engine in spite of its heritage.
It really looks the part.

have a good one.

Bert.

Bert &  Edmunda