I'm doing some design work on an axle pump for my Philly. A while back I asked whether the passages that hold the check valve balls need to be vertical. Now I have a related question. Can the check valves be located a distance from the actual pump ram ? Not far, just maybe 1" away. I could then "duct" the input and output water to a site more tolerant of vertical check valves.

Also, does there need to be an additional check valve at the point where the water enters the boiler ? And is there a preference for input location (ie can it enter into the steam volume or should it enter below the water line ?)

And further, is 1/8" od copper piping adequate ?

Give me some more time, I'll think of more questions.

Thanks to all.

royce in SB