gateway(customer-201-133-115-71.prod-infinitum.com.mx  [201.133.115.7
1])
 by smtp.prodigy.net.mx(iPlanet Messaging Server 5.2 HotFix     2.01
 (built Aug 26
Sender: sslivesteam@colegroup.com
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:08:59 -0600
From: "Arthur S.Cohen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Multiple recipients of sslivesteam <sslivesteam@colegroup.com>
Subject: Re: BAGRS Project Loco

I'll tell you what axle boxes are all about.  My father told me about 65
years ago.  He was in the engineer corps in the U.S. army and stationed in
France during the first world war.  He worked as a maintenance mechanic (oil
gun) in the RR yards in France during the war.   He told me that the Germans
would infiltrate France during the nights and fill the AXLE BOXES of some of
the cars with sand.  The axles were mounted on halves of split bronze
bushing in the boxes.  The boxes were filled with cotton waste and then they
were filled with oil.  The wick action of the cotton would wet the lower
half of the axle and lubricate the contact area where the bushing rested on
the axle as it rotated  The Germans would pull out the cotton waste before
filling the box with sand.  So the lower part of the axle was in contact
with oily sand that would lift up to the bronze bushing and this would cause
a break down of lubrication causing the axle and box to even get red hot and
even catch on fire.  His job was to go out with a big bucket of water and
with a small hose arrange a siphon of water to the hot box (don't get
excited fellows) to keep things cool while the car was slowly pulled back to
the shop for repair.  Today an axle box would probably be where the roller
bearing are mounted that the axle runs on.  It is not a box anymore, its a
bearing support, part of the truck.
Arthur--Mexico City