Harry Wade wrote:
  Whatever it is its main quality, and what it was orginally
developed for, is "water displacement, thus "WD." . . . . although it
certainly does displace moisture. Regards,
Harry

So what does "displacement" mean ? I'm guessing that it must "get between" water molecules and whatever the water is in "contact" with. So how does it do this ?

And as another matter, how should such a product perform as opposed to just wiping off the water ? I don't get it. There seems to be some implied "rust preventative" property that would indicate that the product gets between the iron based substrate and oxides forming at the surface to prevent further rust ?

I should point out that my interest is not in it's rust prevention or lubricating properties, but as a release agent capable of "getting between" glass and vinyl caulking.

I have checked the MSDS but some categories such as "aliphatic Petroleum Distillates" cover a range of hydrocarbons ranging for CH10 to CH50 (numbers are supposed to be subscript for the chemists among us). Not much help if you are trying to understand what's going on at the molecular level.

And of course, I wonder how the Club owner "discovered" that WD40 disolved cocaine ?

The best to all.

royce