Gary,

You know how it is! labor rates, including skilled labor are very very low in China and they are now producing some excellent products. Labor in Japan and the other developed nations cannot compete. I'll tell you one thing, it ain't going to last. I will have to stay with Aster until Accucraft produces a Brit loco, 1/32 scale which I might consider, (if I have any money left!)Anyway, I prefer kits and alcohol, also I'm not into "Big Boys" (no pun intended!) as a hobby item although I think the prototype is awesome-- I did own an HO Big Boy. Incidentally Accucraft doesn't make junk, I bet the Big Boy is excellent quality with piston and rings copied from Aster!

Speaking of products made in China, at the Diamondhead steam up I was very pleasantly surprised and impressed (overall) with the Aristocraft Mikado-- H--MM was it a Mikado? Consider that price, the model was unique. I think we will find many "Sparkies" also steaming! Hooray!! Aristocraft did a remarkable marketing job, no matter what your opinion they are an excellent contributor to our hobby .

Incidentally I collect some Britain's military figures, they are now made in China, are much more accurately detailed--but--but-they cost more. Maybe it's in the profit!

Geoff, the unwise one!

I think you made the price stick in my mind Vance!
How can they make it for that price?  That is amazaing.  Are they making
pistons with rings or just metal to metal?
Steaming & Sparking over Terror Trestle in Eugene, Oregon ~ Gary
http://www.angelfire.com/or/trainguy
http://community.webshots.com/user/raltzenthor

"Maybe I saw the Big Boy before and immediately forgot it because it's out
of my area of interest, but when I read the suggested price it stuck this
time: would you believe 4850 Euro? (That's US$6300 at today's rate.) We just
saw an unbuilt Aster Big Boy go for $17500 on eBay; this guy could have save
2/3 of that and a LOT of building time if he could have waited until next
year...

regards,
  -vance-

Vance Bass