Hi Harry

I could not agree more. Even elastic will only stretch to a certain
point to return to its original length one over stretched it is always
"to slack".

I remember the classic Cockenzie boiler test in Scotland a number of
years ago I think the plate was 8 inch thick if my memory serves me
right. The boiler had been tested if I recall 8 times!! The insurance
officer did not believe Lloyds etc and insisted seeing the needle on
the pin. This time the boiler blew. This was put down to "brittle
fracture". It had been ultrasonic and radiographically examined but no
significant defects had been found.  The cockenzie report is of course
classic literature.

Back to our little kettles, the hydraulic tests are carried out cold,
the boiler is run hot. It is usual to examine a vessel before and
after the test. This is to ensure that any defects which the test
possibly caused or brought to notice can be found before putting the
device into service. Over high test pressures can cause considerable
damage when the device is put into service. A silver soldered joint is
not welded and stress relieved. Who carries out a radiographic
examination before and after on our little kettles??.  Who has proven
gauges? who uses at least two of them for the test? etc etc.

I agree fully with you Harry. test to sensible pressures. unless the
state requires more.

 Bert
Bert &  Edmunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]