On Thu, 27 May 2010 17:18:29 -0400
Dmitri Pal <d...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > At the moment, if sssd is given the example sssd.conf file, sssd
> > reuses to start.  In Debian and Ubuntu, the example sssd.conf file
> > is patched like this and installed in /etc/sssd/sssd.conf to make
> > sure the sssd package get an operational daemon when the package is
> > installed.
> >

> I wonder what is the current behavior when there are no back ends
> configured.

With no domains configured sssd does not start.

> Having the local domain being the default IMO sends a wrong message.
> I think if there are no domains configured the SSSD should return the
> code that will instruct NSS to fail over to the next NSS module in the
> chain.

If sssd is shut off nss_sss simply returns and the nest module (if any)
in the chain is normally processd of course.

> Same with the PAM.

Same with PAM of course.

> So instead of making SSSD be configured to use local domain by default
> the solution IMO should be:
> * Configure SSSD to use real domain (this is what SSSD is for)
> * Configure PAM and NSS config files using legacy methods to take over
> if SSSD indicates that it is not configured.
>
> Thoughts?

Petter was talking about a default configuration before the user
configures sssd. Configuring pam and nss to always point at sss modules
is ok, they cope with an sssd not running just fine.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York