On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 09:38:18AM -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-11-16 at 13:06 +0100, Lukas Slebodnik wrote:
> > ehlo,
> >
> > We have a very big Makefile.am
> > bash$ wc -l Makefile.am
> > 2152 Makefile.am
> >
> > And it will be much bigger, because there is initiative to improve code
> > coverage with unit tests. I have an idea to split current big makefile to
> > smaller ones. If we want to split Makefile it will have pros and cons.
> >
> > Backporting patches to older branches can cause more conflicts, so we should
> > also split Makefile in 1.11 branch. Another problem can be patches on the
> > list
> > will not be able to apply. On the other hand, separated makefiles will be
> > well-arranged and it will be easier to add specific targets to different
> > makefiles.
> >
> > I decided to prepare some proof of concept. Attached patch moves test to
> > separate Makefile in subdirectories with test. 546 lines were removed from
> > main Makefile (size was decreased by 25%). Lot of things can be improved in
> > patch, but main point of this mail is. Does it worth to split makefiles?
>
> What is the disadvantage of a big Makefile.am ?
> Why do you feel the need to break it up ?
> I just want to understand what is the pain point to be able to judge if
> the solution is good.
>
> So far I never felt any issue with a large Makefile.am file, and it
> guarantees that I do not miss things when doing some modification and
> search for terms in the file.
>
> Simo.

I was thinking about making the build more modular as well, but perhaps
from a different angle. Currently we have some libraries in the SSSD
(libipa_hbac, libsss_idmap) that might even be useful for other
projects, but it's not easy to build them on their own. So I was
thinking we may want to have a separate configure.ac for them.

But I'm not sure it's needed now, currently there are no known external
consumers. And splitting the libraries would cause the build to take
longer.