On 03/24/2015 10:09 PM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 12:57:05PM +0100, Pavel Březina wrote:
On 03/19/2015 12:53 PM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
Hi,

I created two wiki pages to help our users troubleshoot their setups and
file better bug reports. I hope the information captured there would
allow us to receive better information, avoid copying and explaning the
same principles over and over -- and ultimately have more time for
coding :-)

The Troubleshooting page is here:
     https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/Troubleshooting
And the Bug reporting page is here:
     https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/Reporting_sssd_bugs

In the troubleshooting page, I tried to stay away from describing known
bugs and rather describe how SSSD works so the user can see which part
doesn't work and needs to be fixed or reconfigured.

Maybe we can add a link to may thesis [1], where is thoroughly described how
sssd works?

Added, good idea:

https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/Troubleshooting?action=diff&version=16&old_version=15

I would also like to add a section about debugging sudo, but I know Dan
had some ideas and also I'd like to hear Pavel's opionion before doing
the work.

Honestly, I don't really know if any of the customers issues occurs
regularly. But the troubleshooting is all the same:
- ldbsearch to see if the rules are actually downloaded
- check the logs how many rules are returned to sudo

OK, what about debugging of sudo itself? It differs a bit between
versions, but would it for instance show if the user was missing a group
membership?

sudo debug output is quite difficult to read and even I don't ever know what am I looking for there :) I don't even remember if it ever provided any useful information...

Most of the problems where misconfiguration of some sort. Maybe Dan can
provide more statistics from customer portal.

If the other developers agree on the wiki pages, I would like to link
them from the SSSD front page. I'd like to also unlink the obsolete
Howto, at least until/if a new one is created.

I'll be happy to hear reviews or comments.

Good job with those documents. Kudos!

[1] http://is.muni.cz/th/359290/fi_m/thesis.pdf