On 02/10/2016 11:06 AM, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
On Wed, 10 Feb 2016, Pavel Reichl wrote:
since getting those values requires to parse the string it would be nice
to get some official details about the string.
Well, the string content after DSID-<number> mark can be completely
missing while the hex of the code (80090308) will be there.

The presence of "DSID-<number> ..." error message is regulated by
ulHideDSID character of the dsHeuristics attribute (MS-ADTS
6.1.1.2.4.1.2). So you can have Active Directory where DSID-<number>
string is completely missing but Win32 code for the error is there.

Alexander thanks for looking into this, but what we need is to
distinguish between reasons for invalid credentials.

e.g.
Bind result: Invalid credentials(49), 80090308: LdapErr: DSID-0C0903C5,
comment: AcceptSecurityContext error, data 773, v23f0
Bind result: Invalid credentials(49), 80090308: LdapErr: DSID-0C0903C5,
comment: AcceptSecurityContext error, data 775, v23f0
As I said, you should not rely on the information being available to you
as it might be disabled completely by the AD administrators in
ndsHeuristics attribute.

What are you going to do when ulHideDSID flag is set to 1?
The ticket is about providing extra info to user if account is locked.
If we can't decide, we return generic access denied and generic
message. Best afford attitude is fine here...IMO.
That's fine but please add documentation about the behavior into the
commit message so that we would have this discussion recorded somehow.

OK, would this:

"""
This patch is best effort only as decision whether account is actually locked is based on parsing error message returned by AD. The format and content of this error message might be subject of change in future releases and also can be modified by AD administrators.
"""

appended to the commit message of the first patch work for you?
Please refer to specific parts of MS-ADTS I've mentioned.
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy