On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 09:01:05AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On 06/20/2016 05:48 AM, Sumit Bose wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 11:15:20AM +0200, Lukas Slebodnik wrote:
> >> BTW we can add Requires/Recommends into pacakge sssd-ad for this
> >> sub-pacakge.
> >> So it will be installed by default.
> >
> > I think this is not needed. It is only needed for samba, not on an
> > general AD client. And even with samba people might want to select
> > between the idmap plugin and SSSD's libwbclient implementation.
> >

> What is the advantage of one over the other? This seems to me like one of
> those
> situations where we have two solutions that people aren't realistically going
> know which to pick. In that case, we should probably consider using
> dependencies
> to select the preferred one if neither is currently present.
>
> We can do this by having both packages add a virtual `Provides:
> sssd-samba-id-mapping` and have sssd-ad add
>
> Recommends: sssd-samba-id-mapping
> Suggests: sssd-libwbclient
>
> (or Suggests: sssd-winbind-idmap whichever one is more feature-complete)
>

> What this will do is pull in the Suggests dependency unless the other one was
> specified manually (or already exists on the system) to satisfy the virtual
> Provides.

But as said the packages are not needed on a general AD client. Only if
Samba and/or Winbind are used either sssd-libwbclient (winbind not
running) or sssd-winbind-idmap (winbind is running) are needed. So for
the time being I would prefer to not pull in one of the package
automatically to keep e.g. the container images small.

Please note that we are working with some Samba developers on how winbind
and SSSD can work better together in future. We have just started so it
is currently not clear what will be the results but of course it should
be easy for a user to configure a Samba server without having to think
about which package to install in which situation.

bye,
Sumit