On 08/25/2016 03:41 AM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 10:45:03AM -0400, Justin Stephenson wrote:

On 08/04/2016 04:20 AM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
Hi,

Over the last couple of weeks, I've talked to several people, mostly
engineers with not too much development experience, who said they would
like to start contributing little fixes to SSSD. I would like to find some
tasks that they can easily handle without making their had spin from
looking at harder stuff like asynchronous tevent code :-)

In the past, we used the 'easyfix' tag in the sssd tickets. We still had
some, but not enough.  I tagged quite a few today, but if anyone knows
about more easy fixes, please tag them as well.
    https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/report/34

Can anybody think of more tasks to ask newcomes to do? I know adding
tests would be great, tests don't require C knowledge, but only Python.
But we would have to document how to write new tests, currently the
process is very convoluted.

We also need to improve and fix documentation on the wiki.

Anything else?

Hello,

I wanted to provide some feedback on the Contribute wiki page from an
outsiders perspective after spending time writing a few patches for sssd. I
hope it will be of some value to improve the wiki page and create a lower
barrier for entry for contributors especially as sssd progresses and becomes
more popular. As a caveat, I expect some of my comments may be a result of
slight misunderstandings from my part and could be interpreted differently
from another contributor or someone with more git/make experience.

Hi,

thanks for the feedack. Feel free to just go and update the page as you
see fit, please just send a note when you're done so we can review the
diff..

Hi Jakub, I made some minor updates including
  - adding the sssinstall command
  - information about splitting patches
  - adding the SSSD internals page link

Feel free to edit as you see fit.

-Justin

Getting the source

You can also enable the commit template by:

git config commit.template .git-commit-template

I ran the commands provided in the 'Getting the source' section from top
to bottom but the .git-commit-template does not exist yet until you clone
the git repo. I suggest we move this line to after downloading the git repo

Building SSSD
 To build SSSD from source, follow these steps:
  1. Install necessary tools
  2. Create source rpm (run from git root directory)
  3. Install SSSD dependencies

It was not clear to me if these commands need to be run each time you
create a new patch or amend a patch, or if only just once.

Finally, assuming you have sudo privilege, you can run the sssinstall alias
to install this debug build onto the build machine.

when sssinstall completes, I was not sure if it succeeded or failed. It
would be nice if there is some way to test and be sure or at perhaps add to
the alias '&& echo sssinstall Completed'

well, if there is no error message, it's successfull :) but feel free to
change the wiki..

Sending patch to upstream
Submitting

You can create multiple commits and then change -1 to -N where N is the
number of commits to produce patches for.

Is there any general rule or guidance on when a fix should be split up
into multiple commits/patches? If so, is it worth adding this information to
the wiki?

I think it's worth adding. Normally the patches should be split so that
every logical change in the large patchset is contained in its own
patch. I think the example where you added a new public function in one
patch along with a test and used the function to add new functionality
to sssd is a perfect one.

Also, some miscellaneous suggestions I have for improving the wiki:

        - the wiki mentions that you should write a unit test to go along with
the
patch, but it does not mention you should actually test your fix and verify
that the problem is corrected and expected results are returned. This is
implied by the Building SSSD section but it is not explicitly stated.

Feel free to add this, I always thought it goes without saying the
developer should test their patch.

        - I found the following link useful for understanding the role of
internal
sssd components and their interaction, I think it may be worth adding here
though I suspect it could be an outdated doc

I /hope/ it's not outdated. If anything feels fishy there, please tell
us, we need to keep this document up-to-date.

        https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/InternalsDocs

Everything else was very straightforward and easy to understand so I would
like to say thanks for providing this wiki!

Cool!