On (07/09/16 08:46), Fabiano Fidêncio wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Lukas Slebodnik <lsleb...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On (06/09/16 21:38), Fabiano Fidêncio wrote:

>>>Please, take a look on Jakub's comment and see what he proposed.
>>>
>> Do you mean:
>>>
>>>jhrozek commented on a pull request
>>>
>>>"""
>>>
>>>12.04 is often used (for example travis-ci still offers only this
>>>distro) and ends its life in 2017.
>>>
>>>On one hand, it's unlikely that users of LTS distributions will run
>>>master, they will probably only run sssd-1-13 or some PPAs, on the other
>>>hand, I don't see too much value except for cleaner code.
>>>
>>>So all in all I suggest we nack this patchset for now and push it when
>>>Ubuntu 12.04 goes EOL.
>>>
>>>Does that sound like a reasonable compromise?
>>>
>>>"""
>> If we decide to drop support for older versions of libini_config
>> then we should also remove unnecessary wrappers in src/util/sss_ini.c.
>> and replace sss_ini* functions with direct usage of ini_*.
>>
>> Therefore this patchset will need to be changed.
>> IMHO, it will be much simpler to create new patch-set then.
>>

>>>Anyways, I'm fine with closing this PR and opening a new one when we
>>>can drop support to libini_config < 1.3.
>>>
>>>Just for the record, from this whole discussion I could see that
>>>dropping support to augeas in order to use libini is something that
>>>shouldn't and is not going to happen any time soon
>> I do not understand how is this patch-set related to replacing augeas
>> with libini_config.
>
>Well, this patch set is _not_ related to replacing augeas with
>libini_config, we just will fall under the same issue in the future
>when doing that.
>If we introduce a new code that will deal with configuration files the
>least I would expect is that old systems could have some benefit from it
>in the same way they can have benefit from the current code.
Maybe you did not get my point and therefore you get wrong expectations.
I do not expect that old systems will benefit from new features.
e.g.
Currently rhel6 cannot:
* validate configuration file because it has old version of libini_config
* be integrated with "CIFS Client"[1] because it does not have necessary
  dependencies

>So, if I'm the one writing or reviewing the code with this discussion in mind
>I'd opt for something that is present in the major distros and for
>sure libini > 1.3 is not. So, why not use augeas instead of it? :-)

Augeas is optional dependency libini_config-1.2 is optional dependency.
I cannot see a conflict for replacing it :-)
But it also does not make a sense
because we should drop manipulation with sssd.conf

>> a) augeas is an optional dependency
>>    if BUILD_IFP
>>    if BUILD_CONFIG_LIB
>>    pkglib_LTLIBRARIES += libsss_config.la
>> b) replacing augeas with libini_config requires minimal version 1.2
>>    which is already optionally used in master.
>> c) IIRC discussion from devel meeting. Some developers prefer
>>    to drop feature for manipulation of sssd.conf and write from
>>    scratch if there will be new requirements. Current version is very
>>    limited.
>>
>>>as well and for the
>>>very same reasons that this patch wasn't accepted. We could, in the
>>>best (or worst?) case scenario support/depend on both due to
>>>compatibility with elder systems, but I can't see any advantage on
>>>that.
>>>
>> I do not suggest to support all features in old systems.
>> But I would like to support at least minimal feature set (ldap+krb5).
>> And parsing configuration file is required for minimal feature set :-)
>>

>Sure, sure.
>
>We wasted a lot of time on this patch set that could have been used
>reviewing more useful patches on the queue.
>Please, close the PR if you want to.

I'm sorry if you think we wasted a lot of time.
I did not want to close PR without proper explanation why I would
prefer to keep this optional code in sssd. It would be impolite
to close PR without general agreement.

LS