Title: #107: WATCHDOG: Avoid non async-signal-safe from the signal_handler

simo5 commented:
"""
On Tue, 2016-12-13 at 08:02 -0800, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 07:06:58AM -0800, Simo Sorce wrote:

> > > that's why I suggested signaling self to a tevent-driven signal handler
> > > from where we can just set up the timer anew.
> > >
> > > If there is any other way to 'break out' of the POSIX signal handler
> > > into somewhere where we can call tevent/talloc (or in general unsafe
> > > calls) I'm all ears.
> >
> > I guess I need to understand better what exactly you want to do to be
> > able to advice on something. I can think of a coulpe of options, none of
> > them particularly elegant :)
>
> OK, let me try to explain better.
>
> A machine drifts time. Then an SSSD process receives SIGRT in
> watchdog_handler() and detects the time has drifted, so it avoids
> increasing the watchdog ticks counter -- this is done in
> watchdog_detect_timeshift() at the moment.
>
> At that point, in the current master, we call teardown_watchdog() and
> setup_watchdog() to set a new watchdog (the part that is based on tevent
> timers). This is unsafe to do in a signal handler because it involves
> malloc and free among others called from tevent.
>
> What I'm trying to figure out is how to reset the watchdog when I detect
> in watchdog_detect_timeshift() the time is out of sync and the tevent
> timer that resets the ticks will not arrive until the sssd process
> receives enough SIGRT signals to get itself killed.
>
> Does the question make sense now?

Yes,
I see a few ways, a file descriptor (like tevent does for handling
signals) used to fire a tevent_fd event that will perform these actions.
Or a global variable, that is checked in the main loop at idle times and
resets the watchdog, finally a mutex on which a dedicated thread waits,
the thread only job is to run the reset if the mutex is released (but
then the mutex needs to be re-acquired, probably on the next tick), but
then again not sure if the code run in the setup_watchdog() is thread
safe.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York