Hi,

are there any SSSD users who actively use a configuration with:
    id_provider=local ?
If so, what is your use-case?

We're considering deprecating and eventually removing this provider
upstream. The replacemant for id_provider=local would be id_provider=files:
    https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/DesignDocs/FilesProvider
which is already under review and later extension of the SSSD's D-Bus
interface to allow manipulating custom user attributes.

My current plan for deprecating the local provider is to only build the
provider and the tools around it if a configure-time flag is provided.
This flag would be disabled by default. Then, if noone complains,
eventually just remove the code.