On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 02:31:27PM +0100, Pavel Březina wrote:
> On 03/07/2017 01:33 PM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:

> > > And
> > > 8) You can have two users, one posix, one non-posix with the same name.
> >
> > In theory yes, but I don't think this would be too common. In general
> > you could have two entries, one with objectclass user, the other with
> > objectclass posixUser where each domain would use a different attribute
> > for the username. But even so, I think the current scheme would protect
> > us against these strange setups.
>
> If find this rather complicated at least from what we talked about on irc.
> If I recall correctly, we leaned in a way that we always download the user
> whether it is posix or not and then let the caller decide if it should be
> returned by sssd. I.e.
>
> if !non_posix_users_enabled(domain) then
>    download only posix users
> else
>    download user even if it is non posix
>
> In NSS (and other posix responders) we would return ENOENT for non-posix
> users. In IFP we would not care (or care if we change API to select).
>
> This wouldn't require the domain separation. What were the reasons to not
> use this approach?

The conflicts between different 'views'. Consider the case where an IFP
user would request the groups of a user who is a member of both POSIX and
non-POSIX groups. Then, a second later, the NSS responder calls
initgroups.

What does the initgroups POSIX call on the back end level do with the
non-POSIX groups, especially the leaf ones? Does it remove them? Do we
add logic to ignore the non-POSIX groups? How do we tell if the groups
were removed from the server if the searches match only the POSIX data
in the second request?

It is really much safer to set a separate domain for the POSIX and
non-POSIX world.