Title: #215: Support for non-POSIX users and groups

jhrozek commented:
"""
On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 02:53:18AM -0700, sumit-bose wrote:
> I tested the patches with a plain LDAP setup and with and AD. In general they
> work as expected and since I think the current code is ok I would ACK the
> patches so that the following observations can be fixed later.
>
> First I have a question about the usage of [application/...] domains. Is
> it expected that [application/...] requires inherit_from and cannot be
> configured explicitly? If I use [domain/....] and domain_type = application
> it work, but if I replace those two line by [application/...] SSSD won't
> start.

I didn't think about testing this, frankly. I tested a separate domain
with the application type which might be useful if you want to e.g. use
a different bind method but no this. I think it's a valid case that can
be fixed later.

> 'sssctl config-check' does not like if [application/...] has other options
> then inherit_from, even the example from the man page causes
> '[rule/allowed_application_options]: Attribute 'ldap_user_extra_attrs' is not
> allowed in section 'application/ad-app-2'. Check for typos.'

Hmm, the regex uses (domain|application) in the rules, but I'm not sure
if the regex supports the OR..apparently not..

> When using [application/...] with the ad provider other domains than the one
> the client is joined to are treated as POSIX domains even if only the
> application domain is listed in in the domains option of sssd.conf.
>
> Given the last observation it might be useful to say in the man page that
> currently the primary and mainly tested use-case is together with the ldap
> provider and more complex use cases will be evaluated in upcoming releases?

Yes, this is what we talked about with the ManageIQ developers. Since
for now the use-case is a replacement for their LDAP connector, I think
we should document this and check later. But with the autodiscovered
domains, we also need to do some tricks to rename the autodiscovered
domains to avoid clashes with subdomains from POSIX domains in a mixed
setup.

So if you agree, I will file three tickets for each of the cases and fix
them later. I will just fix the manpage for now to make it clear only
LDAP domains are supported now.

"""

See the full comment at
https://github.com/SSSD/sssd/pull/215#issuecomment-290364050