On Thu, 2017-10-26 at 12:16 +0200, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 05:39:21PM +0200, Sumit Bose wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > please find below the design document for the enhanced NSS API
> > which
> > makes e.g. the client side timeouts which where recently refactored
> > available to callers.
> >
> > A more visual friendly version can be found at:
> > https://pagure.io/fork/sbose/SSSD/docs/blob/07514ce52845d47fe6bb327
> > f782a865bfa75628a/f/design_pages/enhanced_nss_api.rst
> >
> > bye,
> > Sumit
>
> LGTM!

Looking at this I have some questions, if you are going to create a new
library and just need to set a timeout it seem it would be a much
better interface to use a context handle you allocate and pass into
each call, and then have getters setters to set timeouts or any other
flags that should influence the whole behavior. This will allow you
also to control how many concurrent connections you want to have
against sssd, as each new context will create a  new socket connection
and all.

In the original libnss_sss.so we could not do that because the glibc
interface does not offer any way to hold a context, but there is no
reason to continue along that line in a *new* API. And not using
contexts in threaded applications is generally a bad idea, as you end
up *requiring* te use of mutexes when that is really not always a need
(separated threads can open separate connections and not share any data
that require mutexes).

On the responder side I also do not see why new calls are being
created. You clearly want a client-wide behavior, introduce ONE new
call that sets flags for the rest of the connection, and just reuse the
usual commands otherwise.

I do not understand what is the point of nss_truste_users why a force
reload is a privileged operation ?

I guess DNLSGTM ?

Simo.

--