On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 02:25:24PM +0100, Alexey Tikhonov wrote:
> > >  +1 for separate PRs for backports (for CI checks)
> > Do you think it would be acceptable for whoever pushes the patch to
> > master to also create the backport PR?
>
> It depends on who decides if patch should be backported at all.

Anyone can propose a patch to be backported, but normally this is driven
by downstreams.

> If PR author is pretty sure patch needs to be backported, then why not?
> But it is good to link those PRs so the person who makes review of one
> of PRs would be aware about second.
>
> Yes, that seems like an overhead, but what would be the other way to
> run CI tests (taking into an account we are planning to stop using
> internal CI at all)?
>

> > Otherwise I'm worried that backports might always be delayed. I try to
> > push patches in the evening so that the internal CI processes the
> > patches overnight. If we require the same developer who opened the PR
> > against master to also open the PR against a stable branch, then there
> > would be a day of delay..
>
> Sorry, not sure if I understood.
> What is the source of "day of delay"? And is it delay you worry about?

Yeah, I don't think we understood each other.

What I'm proposing is:
    - you submit PR for master
    - I review it and push to master, close the original PR
    - I also apply the patches locally to sssd-1-16 and open another PR
    - if the backport PR passes CI, I also push it

The delay I didn't like was:
    - you submit PR for master
    - I review it and push to master, close the original PR
    - ..then I ask you to open a sssd-1-16 PR
I don't think the second way is needed because frankly I wouldn't do any
more review then checking the CI boxes are green.

The second way is applicable if the PR does not apply cleanly and needs
some rework.