Title: #5251: [wip] subdomains: allow to inherit case_sensitive=Preserving

sumit-bose commented:
"""
> RHEL-6 servers should not be affected since it requires changes on both
> client and server side SSSD. So RHEL-6 servers will just reply with
> lowercased names (since the client will not be updated there) and that's what
> the client will use. Thanks for the clarification, I'll see what we can do
> about it.

Hi,

I think it is a bit different. On RHEL-6 there is no SSSD ipa-server mode since
all lookups in AD where still done by winbind. And iirc this unconditional
lower-casing was added becasue depending on the type of operation winbind might
have returned an all-lowercase name or the original spelling and SSSD at this
time got confused and considered those as different users and tried to add them
twice. Hence the ad-hoc fix to unconditionally lower-case the names.

I'm not sure if current winbind on RHEL-6 still acts in the same way or if a
recent version of SSSD on an IPA client would still have an issue if a RHEL-6
IPA server would still return the name of the same user sometimes all
lower-case and other times in the original spelling with maybe some upper-case
characters. I hope that using a RHEL-8 IPA client with a RHEL-6 IPA server will
be as rare as a proton decay, but who knows.

bye,
Sumit
"""

See the full comment at