Title: #5552: files: split update into batches

sumit-bose commented:
"""
> > > What is the reason for this patches?
> >

> > IIUC, to avoid single large blocking operation. see #5557
>
> IMHO in this case it would be better to do a diff update to improve
> performance first. It would also solve #4614. It wouldn't of course solve the
> initial cache population so some batching is needed, but it will affect the
> design a lot therefore it might be better to start with it.

Hi @pbrezina,

where do you see the difficulties to add a diff approach? The step the remove
the cache has to be replaced by the diff step and then the entries which
changed will be processed. Even with the diff approach we might need process
the changes in batches if there are many to not block the backend for too long.

bye,
Sumit

"""

See the full comment at