Am Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 05:47:50PM +0200 schrieb Alexander Bokovoy:
> On Аўт, 27 лют 2024, David L wrote:
> > I'm looking for clarity about SSSD's *client-side* support for trusts.
> > 1.  Does SSSD support login for cross-domain (e.g., parent/child) trusts?
> > 2.  Does SSSD support login for users in trusted forests?
> > 2a.  If not, is there a workaround?
> > 3.  Does SSSD's group membership reporting include users from trusted
> > forests?
> > 4.  Does SSSD's user information include groups in trusted forests?
> > 5.  Does SSSD require additional support from additional components to
> > support login of users in trusted forests?
> > 6.  Does SSSD support two-way trusts?
> > 6a.  If not, is there a workaround?
>
> A single answer: if there is a two-way trust between the domains SSSD
> machine in and users/groups are in, then SSSD will be able to resolve
> users/groups and be able to authenticate the users.
>
> SSSD talks to AD DCs over LDAP and uses GSSAPI authentication by
> default. This works for your own domain where you are a domain member
> and it works for all domains where you can reach with a cross-realm
> Kerberos ticket issued by your own domain controller and intermediate
> domain controllers of the trusted domains.

Hi,

please note that the above currently only works for a single forest.
Even if there is a two-way trust between the forests and the Kerberos
ticket from the local forest would be valid in the remote forest as well
SSSD currently does not attempt to discover domains from the remote
forest. This is on the list already for some time but so far we didn't
had the capacity to implement and test this.

The workaround would be to add a second domain section in sssd.conf for
the remote forest but group-memberships are restricted in this setup to
the related forest and cross-forest group-memberships will not be
available.

bye,
Sumit