I have somewhat of a unique situation which causes the userPrincipalName value
in Active Directory to use a public DNS domain as its realm, but the Active
Directory was designed with a private DNS domain.

For example, user John Smith would typically be
jsmith@example.local<mailto:jsmith@example.local> but his userPrincipalName is
jsm...@example.com<mailto:jsm...@example.com>.

Unfortunately when trying to authenticate with pam_sss, the "krb5" child
process will complain that the KDC is not local to the realm.  The KDC might be
something like kdc.example.local, and in this instance the realm is
EXAMPLE.COM.  Same situation if I try to `kinit
jsm...@example.com`<mailto:jsm...@example.com%60>, the error about the KDC not
being local to Realm occurs.

Is there some other way that sssd could construct the userPrincipalName instead
of me trying to create and populate a custom AD attribute?
--
Mike