On Feb 21, 2013, at 3:44 AM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The dereference processing can only work if the attributes
>>> being dereferenced (usually member:) are DNs (DN_SYNTAX_OID). Does your
>>> schema maybe touch the member attributes in any way? Do all your groups
>>> really use the member attribute and not for instance uniqueMember?
>>>
>>> Turning the enumeration on merely works around the problem by following
>>> a different code path.
>>
>> Jakub,
>>
>> my custom schema only extends the posixAccount to add some extra attributes.
>> I make no changes to posixGroup.
>>
>> ldapsearch -ZZ -x -D "uid=nss,dc=mydomain" -b "dc=mydomain" -w secret
>> "uniqueMember=*"
>>
>> returns nothing.
>>
>> ldapsearch -ZZ -x -D "uid=nss,dc=mydomain" -b "dc=mydomain" -w secret
>> "member=*"
>>
>> returns the 175 groups in my ldap directory.
>>
>> An example for a specific group (e.g. dvd) would be:
>>
>> ldapsearch -ZZ -x -D "uid=nss,dc=mydomain" -b "dc=mydomain" -w secret
>> "cn=dvd"
>>
>> # extended LDIF
>> #
>> # LDAPv3
>> # base <dc=mydomain> with scope subtree
>> # filter: cn=dvd
>> # requesting: ALL
>> #
>>
>> # dvd, Group, mydomain
>> dn: cn=dvd,ou=Group,dc=mydomain
>> objectClass: posixGroup
>> objectClass: groupOfNames
>> objectClass: top
>> objectClass: apple-group
>> objectClass: extensibleObject
>> cn: dvd
>> gidNumber: 9075
>> member: uid=user1,ou=People,dc=mydomain
>> member: uid=user2,ou=People,dc=mydomain
>>
>> # search result
>> search: 3
>> result: 0 Success
>>
>> # numResponses: 2
>> # numEntries: 1
>>

>> I hope this helps.
>>
>> Scott
>
> Does the following:
>
> ldapsearch -x -H ldap://ldap.example.com -E 'deref=member:cn,objectclass' -b
> cn=ou=Group,dc=mydomain 'cn=dvd'
>
> Work for you? The command should yield user1 and user2's cn and
> objectclass.

I get the same response regardless of whether the  -E
"deref=member:cn,objectClass" option is present or not:

# ldapsearch -ZZ -x -D "uid=nss,dc=mydomain" -w secret -E
"deref=member:cn,objectClass" -b "ou=Group,dc=mydomain" "cn=dvd" -LLL
dn: cn=dvd,ou=Group,dc=mydomain
objectClass: posixGroup
objectClass: groupOfNames
objectClass: top
objectClass: apple-group
objectClass: extensibleObject
cn: dvd
gidNumber: 9075
member: uid=user1,ou=People,dc=mydomain
member: uid=user2,ou=People,dc=mydomain

# ldapsearch -ZZ -x -D "uid=nss,dc=mydomain" -w secret -b
"ou=Group,dc=mydomain" "cn=dvd" -LLL
dn: cn=dvd,ou=Group,dc=mydomain
objectClass: posixGroup
objectClass: groupOfNames
objectClass: top
objectClass: apple-group
objectClass: extensibleObject
cn: dvd
gidNumber: 9075
member: uid=user1,ou=People,dc=mydomain
member: uid=user2,ou=People,dc=mydomain

Does this mean deref is broken on my openldap server?